Food for Thought...

Food for Thought...

Thursday 10 March 2016

How High Are Your Hopes?

A positive look on South Africa’s future

I think I have left this post long enough…long enough for me witness university students go wild over escalating tertiary education fees and a lack of transformation in our universities; long enough for Zuma to vote in (and out) 2 different financial ministers in a matter of days; long enough to watch politicians rip into the failures of each other; long enough to hear all kinds of racist comments, xenophobic attacks and hear every second white person threaten emigration.

It has been long enough.

As a Christian and an occupational therapist, reflection has become second nature to me. It has taken me quite some time to process what I have observed occurring around me on a national, regional and even local community level. Maybe you are like me and are wondering where South Africa is headed. Maybe you have even ventured into the social media sphere to proclaim your views. The more I have watched the more confused I have become. I consider myself a fairly patriotic South African (to the point where I find myself tearing up while listening to fellow South Africans reminisce about magical moments in South Africa’s history – queue a quick recap of Mandela getting released from prison, the 1994 rugby world cup; Shabalala’s opening goal in the 2010 soccer world cup, etc.) so when I hear people talk about my country with such a pessimistic outlook, I all but want to punch them in the face. Where has our hope, resilience, unity gone? After all we’ve gone through, are we really going to give up now?

So I prayed. I prayed for a new perspective; for my eyes to be opened to what exactly God has got planned for this incredible country of mine (because there is no way that this South African has any plans to emigrate).  And you know what I found? Hope. Hope. Hope.

Within a matter of days, my prayers were answered and I was bombarded with stories of unity despite our current circumstances and grace beyond measure. These stories (both in my own life and on social media) appear to be our nations way of retaliating against the racism that seems to be pulling us apart. While a lot of nonsense has plagued our nation recently, way too much limelight has been given to people with skewed perspectives and underlying agendas. (And let’s be honest…bad news sells). God knows that we all feel the drag of negative comments pulling us down and it takes a lot to swim against the current tide of toxic words and perceptions. Do you need a little hope for South Africa? It is my prayer that by the time you finish reading this post (and the others I recommend), I will have reminded you of just how amazing this country really is.

Below are a few simple ‘pick-me-up’ stories of normal South Africans moving past the tide of negativity to remind us of our own humanity - something we seem to forget so quickly in times such as these. It is my hope that these stories will have them same effect on you as they did on me – may they create a swelling in your heart, a glistening in your eyes and a restoration of your hope.

·         Check out this incredibly encouraging post about the future of South African written by an economic analyst: http://www.iol.co.za/business/opinion/columnists/taking-stock-of-2015-1967621

·         Read the views of a Cape Town businessman on the fact that we are obsessed with negativity and how he believes South Africa is doing right now: http://www.bdlive.co.za/opinion/2016/02/12/narrative-accounts-obsessed-with-the-negative

·         Click here to read the account of Find out about how a South African man chose to see the best side of our country on his way to work: https://www.goodthingsguy.com/south-afri-can-stories/3066/

·         Learn about a young man’s unique Valentine’s Day experience where his love for people who are different from himself radiated through his actions: http://www.sapeople.com/2016/02/10/a-valentine-story-of-love-in-south-africa/

·         Read about Helen Ziller’s optimistic view after the State of the Nation address: http://www.biznews.com/leadership/2016/02/16/helen-zilles-optimistic-sa-made-300-years-of-progress-in-a-week/

·         Check out a website definitely worth following on a regular basis. SA Good News focuses on posting positive articles regarding our country and helps to keep us from being dragged down by pessimism and sensationalism. This particular article is full of some hard and fast facts about South Africa to keep you hopeful. http://www.sagoodnews.co.za/sa-fast-facts.html

As mentioned in the first article I recommended above, “South Africa is not sliding into the abyss – rather it is turning the soil so that it may grow again as a functioning society.” As much as us ‘whities’ love to think that we are all now equal, gross inequalities are still so glaringly present and it is time to lean into the discomfort of the truth behind our privilege. Personally, my white privilege confronts me on a daily basis and I am in no way disillusioned to the suffering that goes on around me by people who were simply born into disadvantaged situations. Whether we like it or not, decades of white superiority have placed us in very advantageous positions and we need to do everything in our power to ensure that inequalities in our nation are addressed.

We are all in need of transformation and it is time to be bold enough to understand our own positionality, let go of the fear of change and stand up to be a part of the new South Africa. Yes, the next few years are going to hurt and those with children seem to keep wondering if it is time to move on. Rather than shielding your children from the seemingly apparent destruction of our nation, I challenge you to teach them to be a part of the transformation; be a part a new, united generation of South Africans who fight against segregation and racism. I encourage you to become aware of your own privilege (there are plenty articles to be read about it) or click here (http://thewireless.co.nz/articles/the-pencilsword-on-a-plate) to see a simple, yet powerful cartoon on the reality of privilege.

Personally, I have the honour of working in an incredibly diverse group of people. Within our government rehabilitation department, we are a bundle of people working for the good of others. This mishmash of black, white, young, old, male, female, Muslim, Christian, Zulus, Ndebele’s, spenders, savers, loud-mouths, silent participants and everything else in between makes for some chaotic group dynamics but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I get the opportunity to live and breathe our rainbow nation on a daily basis and what a privilege that is! I get to be a part of this shared journey where we are trying to understand our diversity, choosing to change our attitudes, working together despite our differences and looking beyond ourselves for solutions that best serve the needs of those around us. I choose to remember the good stories I witness in my community and challenge you to do the same – the goodness around us is so glaringly obvious when we decide to search for it.

In closing, to all those fearful, pessimistic South African’s out there, I challenge you to post something uplifting on Facebook this week; speak to someone who is completely different to you about how we can make our country a better place; make an effort to read good stories and lastly, have a little hope for goodness sake!


3 comments:

  1. I just loved this Caryn! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jax! We all need a little hope every now and again!

      Delete
  2. WONDERFUL to read such a positive attitude from someone in your generation, Caryn. Having emigrated to & lived in England for 12 years (for family reasons rather than the obvious) and having RETURNED to South Africa, I am delighted to be back home in KZN. I would like to suggest that there are disadvantaged and advantaged communities in other countries too. They have NOTHING to do with "race" necessarily as England has benefitted from FREE EDUCATION FOR ALL (whether rich, poor, of one race or another) for over 50 years It has a great deal to do with attitude to life, learned at the knees of one's parents. Many from disadvantaged backgrounds have achieved great things and many advantaged people have managed to waste their advantages & achieved little of value.

    There are many POSITIVE initiatives I observe, here in Howick AND further afield in our wonderful country, made by various people, many previously "advantaged" to assist and uplift those less fortunate. These efforts range from a farmer in Gauteng growing organic vegetables and presently TRAINING some 30 "Gogos" from Soweto to grow food for their families, to a Soup Kitchen run by retired people for the poor in Lidggeton, to a white couple who have adopted two black boys to raise and love as their own. There's a group from two Midlands churches who minister to patients attending the Oncology Outpatients clinic at Greys Hospital. They take not only refreshments to people who have to wait hours for their treatment, but also the Word of God & tracts in various languages.Few of these patients reject prayer, whether they be Christians or not - Muslims. Traditionalist Africans, Hindus and non-believers are grateful for prayer.

    So you're absolutely RIGHT that there's GREAT HOPE in our fantastic country.

    A most thoughtful article Caryn. I think you're exactly where God wants you to be and wish you and Iain many blessings.

    Shalom.

    ReplyDelete